In September of 2019, a public charter school will open in Midtown Harrisburg. Since this is a public school there are no fees or tuition.
It will be a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) school which means it will focus on providing hands-on opportunities to learn and explore various careers and pathways in math, science, technology, engineering, and the arts.
- Classes will be small with two adults per class to ensure a safe and productive learning environment for all.
- In addition to STEAM integration, emphasis will be placed on developing and strengthening key foundational skills for success in school and beyond; such as literacy teamwork, and problem-solving.
- The school breakfast, lunch snack program will focus on healthy eating.
- Through coordination with community partners, before and after school programs as well as summer programming will be offered.
- Kindergarten, First and Second grades will be offered in the 2019-20 school year, adding a grade each year until we reach a K-8 enrollment. Future 9-12 options will be available the school grows.
- Children will be expected to be well behaved and engaged learners.
- Parents will be encouraged and expected to be active partners in their child’s education.
- A unique curriculum that weaves and connects science and art standards throughout all content areas.
- Daily project-based instructional delivery, utilizing hands-on activities in Math, Science, and Engineering.
- A strong emphasis on literacy, during a two-hour literacy block, with development of reading, writing and speaking skills.
- A daily related arts period that includes Movement class, Computer Science class, Foreign Language class, Visual Arts class, and Vocal/Instrumental Music class.
- Community involvement through actual field instructors in the related arts classes.
- Use of technology to enhance and instruct all aspects of the academic curriculum.
- A safe, comfortable, and healthy learning environment for all students and staff.
Sample Daily Schedule
8:15 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. Soft landing
8:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. English Language Arts (ELA)
10:50 a.m. – 11:50 a.m. Science Exploration
(snack time during science or math – approximately 10
11:55 a.m. – 12:55 p.m. Math Exploration
1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Lunch
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Recess or Stations (structured
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Engineering
3:05 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. Creative Arts
3:45 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Dismissal
*Soft landing – 30 minutes (read alouds, sharing, announcements, breakfast)
*ELA – 2 hours
*Science Exploration – 1 hour
*Math Exploration – 1 hour
*Creative Arts – 40 minutes (movement, instrumental music, visual arts,
computer science, foreign language)
*Engineering – 1 hour
Pre-Enrollment/Intent to Enroll
Pennsylvania STEAM Academy Charter School is filing an application to open a new charter school to be located in Midtown Harrisburg. The School will serve students in grades Kindergarten – 8th when its full grade span is realized.
If the school’s application is successful, The School will open beginning in the 2019-2020 school year. Students eligible to attend in its initial school year are students who will be enrolled in grades Kindergarten – 2nd in the 2019-2020 school year.
The Pre-Enrollment/Intent to enroll form is designed to gauge support for the school, and to determine whether you would enroll your child(ren) in the school. If you have more than one child eligible, please fill out additional forms. Admission to the School will be conducted via lottery – the Pre-Enrollment/Intent to Enroll form does not guarantee admission nor does it obligate you to apply.
Should you like to request a copy of the pre-enrollment form for your child(ren) or for more information, please contact us at PaSTEAMAcad@gmail.com.